Monday, January 28, 2008

Mardi Gras Goes to the Dogs (As Well It Should!)

Ahem...my first Bloggy Haiku...and a few photos.

Perfectly playful,
bringing Joy to the masses;
Carnival canines


"Daddy, it's little cold out here..."


"Daddy says he lets me ride in here to keep me warm, but I know it's really so he can have both hands free for his beer. But that's OK..."



"I can't believe she put me in a cocktail dress before sundown.
I could just die!"


"Yes, we know we look like stuffed toys.
We get that all the time."


"I was going for that whole Temple of Doom thing,
but I got up this morning and the only
thing that fit was this old Neck Tutu.
I have got to lay off the King Cake."


These wonderful and very patient dogs took part in the Mystic Krewe of Barkus Parade yesterday - a yearly fundraiser for the Louisiana SPCA and a pack of other local animal resources. Each year, a King and Queen are crowned - usually after having been a Duke or Duchess in one of the preceding years. Also, the royalty for Barkus are traditionally dogs who have been adopted from the LA/SPCA. This year's theme for Barkus was Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Bark. Past themes include Joan of Bark, Lifestyles of the Bitch and Famous, A Streetdog Named Desire, The Wizard of Paws, Harry Pawter and the Sorcerer's Bone, A Fistful of Collars, and Saturday Bite Fever. Do you notice a trend?

I don't have a dog, but I get to spend quality time now and then with Dizzy (the handsome devil in the black fur coat below) - whose human companions (or My Monkeys, as Dizzy is fond of calling them) are my friends Virginia and Roger. Dizzy is more of a people-dog than a romping-with-other-dogs-dog, and will often step in at the Dog Park and assume the role of Hall Moniter - "Hey, not so rough there! Keep your paws to yourself, Jake! You better have brought enough toys for everyone!" Dizzy came to the parade, allowing his Monkeys to dress him in the Crawfish outfit, but he was much more interested in hanging close to Daddy. Forcing us to go to him, if we wanted to lavish attention on him. Which we did...Frequently. He's a smart one, that Dizzy.

Oh, and he calls me Uncle Monkey.

Couldn't you just eat him up with a spoon?

Happy Barkus!

3 comment(s):

Jen

I love the new look of the blog! And those were wonderful dog pictures. I just hope the two who look stuffed didn't get thrown for the parade!

painted maypole

missed it this year with our final show, but loved Barkus last year!

Jenn in Holland

Oh! I love them, each and every one. Your captions really kick it though! Soooooo fun!

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist E' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP