Friday, September 12, 2008

Come Hell or High Water...

In 1971, Follies opened on Broadway - a hugely ambitious show, revolving around the reunion of a follies cast (akin to Ziegfeld) for one last concert before their old theatre is leveled and turned into a parking lot.

One of the best numbers in the whole show - the big showstopper, if ever - is "I'm Still Here." Over the years, this song has been sung by the likes of Yvonne DeCarlo, Nancy Walker, Carol Burnett, Shirley MacLaine and Ann Miller - it's like winning the theatre fag lottery!

The song is replete with historical and cultural references and has been adapted time and again...and now I've stuck my hand into it to muddy the waters further. I hope I haven't done too much damage to one of my favorites.


So, with all apologies to Stephen Sondheim (along with my utmost admiration):


Good times and bum times,

We've seen them all, and by gosh...


We're Still Here.





Mardi Gras, one day...

Next day it's FEMA and Bush.

And we're here...





We made it through Katrina & Rita too,

Gustav and Ike both really blew.




We got through all of last year,

And we're here.




We've gotten through, "Hey, buddy! Why don'tchya just move away?"

Gee, that sure helps a heap.





Or better yet, "Why are you rebuilding anyway?"

Oh, Senator, go take a leap!




Fresh paint on one home,

One home stands vacant and bare.


But we're here.





One day, it's State Farm,

Next day, we dance without care...


And we're here.





We've had the best, and seen the worst,

Stayed through Katrina - the levees burst.



Come Hell or high water, and we're here...





Lord knows, at least we've been there...

And we're here.

We're still here...


Yes, we're here...

4 comment(s):

Jen

Great take on an amazing song and an amazing town.

Okay, you wanna know how weird I am? When I was 15/16 I played Follies so often that my record WORE OUT. I had to buy a new copy when I went off to college.

Really superb post, Ken.

jodifur

love it!

painted maypole

great song, and fantastic pictures

fun!

Jenn in Holland

Absolutely fabulous! I took chills over the sentiment and the new lyrics and all that stunning photography! Wow.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist E' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP