Wednesday, September 02, 2009

What Do You Get?

I have this stuck in my head...

I love Sondheim. I don't always love Raul Esparza's voice, but he's just kills this, from an acting standpoint.

It always reduces me to tears.

Keep going...


"Being Alive" from Company

by Stephen Sondheim

performed by Raul Esparza

2 comment(s):

Jen

As someone who spent more days (as a teen) than not listening to the original cast recording, this was a little different for me to understand. It's so interesting - as a teen, I really related to Bobby. As an adult, I really related to most of his friends.

The lyrics ring true no matter what.

I saw myself as very hardened as a teen. Hah!

Ambassador

Jen - I love this song. I love this show. I was a late-comer to Sondheim (18); and while I am the unabashed romantic, I also yearned and struggled on behalf of Bobby in a way that sort of foretold a great deal of my adult life.

I just think that Raul Esparza acts this better than anyone I've ever seen perform it. I love the staging, and it's such a great display of overall craft.

It's the kind of performance I would like to be remembered for one day.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist E' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP